photo logocopyFINAL2_zps4f3aeeb2.png
Location: Austin, TX

Artist You Should Know: Ashley Allen

You would think that being on tour with artists such as Drake Bell, Trevor Jackson and Taboo (from The Black Eyed Peas) would make any newcomer pale in comparison, but Ashley Allen's remarkable talent and strong vocals makes it impossible for her not to shine. I'm sure people think I say that about everyone since I've interviewed various artists for DISfunkshion and my blog, but Ashley really stands out from other artists with her catchy lyrics and kind, yet humble personality. Her interview was definitely one of my favorites. I got the chance to catch up with the rising pop star during one of her pit stops at SXSW. Read on to learn about her onstage style, what life is like while on the road and the amazing support that goes along with having Chloe Norgaard as a best friend. 

Is this your first time at SXSW?
Yes, it is! This is my first time ever.

How long have you been in Austin?
I drove in from Tuscan and got here Wednesday night.

Was there anybody that you wanted to see while you're in town for SXSW? 
You know it was so last minute that I really didn't know what to expect! I have a story though. When we got here I was like it's a Wednesday night, so what can I do for free you know? So we go to this one tent and we’re watching this show and out of nowhere my friend is like "Oh my gosh is that Shaun White?" and I'm like "Holy cow that is Shaun White." So we moved forward in the crowd and I realize that's my friend Jared playing on the stage! So it was a really awesome night and I got to see my friend Jarred play. He's now a part of this awesome band called Bad Things.

How has the tour been going so far?
It's actually very interesting because the tour that I'm on was actually scheduled to made a stop at SXSW. So its really more of a tour pit stop kind of thing, but its amazing! It's called High School Nation. It's with Drake Bell, Trevor Jackson, and Taboo. I could not be more honored to perform with these guys.

Would you say that you all are pretty close? 
I mean we all get along very well. Its all scattered when we’re doing a show, but everyone is just so incredible. We definitely support each other by retweeeting and instagraming each other.

What do you typically like to wear when you're on stage? 
What I've noticed is that my style kind of changes due to atmosphere. When I'm doing tons of outside shows I’ll normally have on my knee highs and a high waisted skirt. But sometimes I like my funky jeans because I want to be comfortable you know? So it really just depends on where I am, but I definitely like bright colors and heels. Even though heels are definitely a girls best and worst friend.

What are you wearing today?
I'm actually not sure of the brand of my dress but I think it might be Alice + Olivia. I actually got this entire outfit from the same boutique! Everything I wear is so different, like even my jewelry is different. My mom has a jewelry shop so she's always like throwing things at me. This bracelet is my grandmas and I got this one from Africa. It's a women's empowerment bracelet.

Other than being on tour, are you working on anything else? 
I just started a radio tour for my single "Body Say No, Heart Say Yes" and the response has been incredible. On iheartradio it was one of the top 15 played songs in the U.S. Which is hard for me to believe because I haven't even heard my song on the radio! But it’s a process. I don't expect anything to happen overnight. It's been a road you know?


If you could pick three words to describe your EP what would they be? 
Hm, I'd have to say fun, positive and totally-rad!

Which music video did you have the most fun doing? 
"Body Say No, Heart Say Yes" because everyone that you see in my video is one of my good friends. My best friend Chloe, who is killing it right now in modeling, is in it. My boy Shwayze was in it. DJ White Shadow also made an appearance, and I hope one day I can work with him. So many great people came together and they were like "go girl," we’re going to make this happen!
That all sounds so amazing! I noticed that out of all the people you mentioned you said Chloe first. You guys are pretty close then?
Chloe has been my best friend since I was 15 years old. We grew up together and it's really so amazing to have a best friend that's with you holding your hand the whole way and all while she's doing her own thing too! There's no butting heads, just pure love. I would die for that girl, she's my angel.

What else do you want people to know? 
My Instagram and Twitter handles are @its ashleyallen. Oh! And I follow back if you tweet me. Just help me spread the word really. I mean I'm so stoked just to be here.

Be sure to check out her website and soundcloud

No comments

Post a Comment